Thursday, December 04, 2008

Out and About in Memphis

I hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday. I had the pleasure of spending it with my wife's family in Brownsville, Tennessee, which is a small farming community about an hour or so east of Memphis on U.S. 40. With all the trips that I have taken to Tennessee over the last 18 years, I've never spent any time in Memphis other than the airport and our wedding night at The Peabody. So this year I made it a point to spend a day in Memphis, visiting the sites and photographing. It was a perfect clear and bright day with the temperature about 70 degrees. I visited the landmark Stax Records, Graceland, Beale Street, and the Lorraine Motel and Civil Rights museum. I took my fair share of "tourist" photos at those locations, but I also spent time taking a bunch of other stuff, some of which is below. For my fellow photographers that are interested in this sort of thing, all pictures were taken with my Nikon D200 and the 17-55 2.8 Nikkor lens.

I stopped by the visitors center on hwy 40 to pick up a street map and saw these birds hanging out.
The neighborhood around the Stax Museum was filled with colorful abandoned buildings.
Weeds grow anywhere!
This street was pretty rough!
Here's a few taken along the lower part of Beale Street and walking around downtown Memphis.
A vintage Dodge parked below the balcony of the Lorraine Motel where Dr King was assassinated.
I loved the colors as darkness set in.
Beale Street at night
The rest of these were taken on the backroad to Jackson, Tennessee, which is about 30 miles east of Brownsville.
Next time, it's a day or so in Nashville!

2 comments:

J. Hyslip Photography said...

Great post Travis, love the pictures. My mother is from that area. She grew up in a little town called Whiteville. A pretty famous singer came out that area also. Can you guess who?

There is some real poverty in those small towns starting in the Arkansas delta region.Your images really captured it.

J Hyslip
J Hyslip Photography

Artessa Photography said...

Awesome work Travis, I love to see you play around! The backwards American flag is straight out of "The Americans" I can totally see you publishing a book of street photos.